Appendix: Tying Profitability to Usability
A quick-reference for firms that are planning and developing user experience:
- The business case should drive the design and development effort, but the needs of the customer should drive the business case.
- All team members should understand the goals of a project and how usability impacts those goals
- The ultimate goal of a project is not to produce a system, but to produce a system that is used in a way that contributes to the success of the firm
- One a product is launched, the job is not over, and team members should be made aware of its performance to improve it as well as to learn for future projects
- Even among diverse interdisciplinary teams, common purpose can be achieved if they understand what each contributes to the ultimate user experience
- Plan for the future and architect for scalability
- Keep focus on the customer: know their needs and goals, their wants and desires, and work toward satisfying them.
- If a proposed function or feature does not offer both value to the customer and value to the firm, scrap it.